Vajkoczy_edit 23/7/07 15:02 Page 30
Figure 1: Intra-operative Photograph
First Congress of the International Society of
15–17 November 2007
Kantonsspital, Lucerne, Switzerland
Karl F Kothbauer, Congress President, looks forward to the 2007 event:
Dear Friends and Colleagues
During the past two decades we have witnessed tremendous
developments in the medical and neural sciences. Much of what we
consider ‘standard’ today was simply not there only 10 years ago.
Obtained after left-sided direct standard STA-MCA bypass with syndromic flow
orientation (upper left), and intra-operative sequence of ICG videoangiogram revealing
bypass graft patency.
The intra-operative utilisation of neurophysiological techniques
to assess functional aspects during surgery affecting the nervous
significant contrast change by ICG and the high spatial resolution, flow can system has played its part in this larger development.
be calculated in areas smaller than 1mm
. Using this procedure, flow maps
of perfusion can be generated over the surgically exposed cortex.
Evoked potentials and electroencephalography have been
considered the core of the field that is understood as intra-
In summary, ICG angiography is an easy-to-perform, cost-effective and operative monitoring.
reliable method of assessing blood flow in different large vessels or
aneurysms exposed during surgery. The method was found to be In addition, intra-operative neuromonitoring includes the use of
helpful during aneurysm surgery, extra-intracranial bypass surgery or microelectrode recording, ultrasound and other techniques used
dural fistula surgery. during surgery during intensive care. Not surprisingly, therefore,
intraoperative neurophysiology is not only for the neurosurgeon
The technique may improve the quality and outcome of neurovascular and the neurophysiologist, but is also of great interest to
procedures. Moreover, with the aid of post-processing calculation anaesthesiologists, orthopaedic surgeons, intensive care
software, it provides information regarding the perfusion of the exposed specialists, otolaryngologists, vascular surgeons, interventional
cortical area. Further studies are needed to address its usefulness in other radiologists and neurologists.
surgical procedures, such as those performed for vascular malformations
or tumours. ■ Since 1998, the biannual New York Symposium for Intra-operative
Neurophysiology has attracted a growing number of participants
worldwide. In the context of this now well-established meeting,
1. Schmiedek P, Piepgras A, Leinsinger G, et al., Improvement of cerebrovascular reserve capacity
by ec-ic arterial bypass surgery in patients with ica occlusion and hemodynamic cerebral ischemia,
the idea for a worldwide society was born: an international society
J Neurosurg, 1994;81:236–44.
open to all who are interested in this field.
2. Sundt TM Jr, Siekert RG, Piepgras DG, et al., Bypass surgery for vascular disease of the carotid
system, Mayo Clin Proc, 1976;51:677–92.
3. Allcock JM, Drake CG, Postoperative angiography in cases of ruptured intracranial aneurysm, The organisation of the first full meeting of our new association
J Neurosurg, 1963;20:752–9.
has been entrusted to me and I therefore take great pleasure
4. Feuerberg I, Lindquist C, Lindqvist M, Steiner L, Natural history of postoperative aneurysm rests,
J Neurosurg, 1987;66:30–34.
in inviting you to the beautiful town of Lucerne in the heart
5. Feindel W, Yamamoto YL, Hodge P, The human cerebral microcirculation studied by intra-arterial of Switzerland.
radio-active tracers, coomassie blue and fluorescein dyes, Bibl Anat, 1967;9:220–24.
6. Feindel W, Yamamoto YL, Hodge P, Intracarotid fluorescein angiography: A new method for
examination of the epicerebral circulation in man, Can Med Assoc J, 1967;96:1–7.
Our programme will encompass everything to do with intra-
7. Raabe A, Beck J, Gerlach R, et al., Near-infrared indocyanine green video angiography: A
operative neurophysiology, and more. And Lucerne, the home of
new method for intraoperative assessment of vascular flow, Neurosurgery, 2003;52:132–9;
festivals, culture, fabulous mountains and reputed gastronomy,
8. Raabe A, Nakaji P, Beck J, et al., Prospective evaluation of surgical microscope-integrated will provide a great background for our meeting.
intraoperative near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography during aneurysm surgery,
J Neurosurg, 2005;103:982–9.
9. Woitzik J, Horn P, Vajkoczy P, Schmiedek P, Intraoperative control of extracranial-intracranial
I look forward to welcoming you to Lucerne.
bypass patency by near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography, J Neurosurg,
10. Kuebler WM, Sckell A, Habler O, et al., Noninvasive measurement of regional cerebral blood flow
Karl F Kothbauer, MD
by near-infrared spectroscopy and indocyanine green, J Cereb Blood Flow Metab, 1998;18:445–56.
11. Woitzik J, Pena-Tapia PG, Schneider UC, et al., Cortical perfusion measurement by indocyanine-
Further information: www.neurophysiology.org/isin
green videoangiography in patients undergoing hemicraniectomy for malignant stroke, Stroke,
30 EUROPEAN NEUROLOGICAL DISEASE 2007