Gordts_subbed.qxp 23/4/09 02:19 Page 25
The Role of Reproductive Surgery in the Era of In Vitro Fertilisation
13. Marcoux S, Maheux R, Bérubé S, and the Canadian undergoing in vitro fertilizarion?, Fertil Steril, 1998;69: influencing the success rate of office diagnostic
Collobarative Group on Endometriosis Laparoscopic 1020–25. hysteroscopy, Hum Reprod, 2005;20:258–63.
surgery in infertile women with minimal or mild 36. Strandell A, Lindhard A, Waldenström U, et al., 61. Campo R, Van Belle Y, Rombauts L, et al., Office
endometriosis, N Engl J Med, 1997;337:217–22. Hydrosalpinx and IVF outcome: a prospective randomized mini-hysteroscopy, Hum Reprod Updat, 1999;5:73–81.
14. Parazzini F, Ablation of lesions or no treatment in multicentre rtial in Scandinavia on salpingectomy prior to 62. Tarek El-Toukhy, Sunkara SK, Coomarasamy A, et al.,
minimal-mild endometriosis in infertile women: a IVF, Hum Reprod, 1999;14:2762–9. Outpatient hysteroscopy and subsequent IVF cycle
randomized trial, Hum Reprod, 1999;14:1332–4. 37. Zeyneloglu HB, Arici A, Olive DL, Adverse effet of outcome: a systematic review and meta-analysis, RBM
15. Olive D, Pritts EA, The treatment of endometriosis: a hydrosalpinx on pregnancy rates after in vitro Online, 2008;16:712–19.
review of the evidence, Ann N Y Acad Sci, 2002;955:360–72. fertilization-embryo transfe, Fertil Steril, 1998;70:492–9. 63. Donnez J, Jadoul P, What are the implications of myomas
16. Canis M, Poully JL, Tamburro S, et al., Ovarian response 38. Johnson NP, Mak W, Sowter MC, Laparoscopic on fertility? A need for a debate?, Hum Reprod, 2002;17:
during IVF-embryo transfer cycles after laparoscopic salpingectomy for women with hydrosalpinges enhances 1424–30.
ovarian cystectomy for endometriotic cysts of >3cm in the success of IVF: a Cochrane review, Hum Reprod, 64. Coronado GD, Marshall LM, Schwartz SM, Complications
diameter, Hum Reprod, 2001;16:2583–6. 2002;17:543–8. in pregnancy, labor, and delivery with uterine leiomyomas:
17. Donnez J, Wyns C, Nisolle M, Does ovarian surgery for 39. Henry-Suchet J, Loffredo V, Tesquier L, et al., Endoscopy of a population-based study, Obstet Gynecol, 2000;95:764–9.
endometriomas impair the ovarian response to the tube (tuboscopy): its prognostic value for tuboplasties, 65. Brosens JJ, Barker FG, de Souza NM, Myometrial zonal
gonadotropin?, Fertil Steril, 2001;76:662–5. Acta Eur Fertil, 1985;16:139–45. differentiation and uterine junctional zone hyperplasia in
18. Tsoumpou I, Kyrgiou M, Gelbaya T, Nardo L, The effect of 40. Boer-Meisel ME, Te Velde ER, Habbema JD, Kardaum JWPF, the non-pregnant uterus, Hum Reprod Update, 1998;4:
surgical treatment on in vitro fertilization outcomes: a Predicting the pregnancy outcome in patients treated for 496–502.
systematic review and meta-analysis, Fertil Steril, 2008; hydrosalpinx: a prospective study, Fertil Steril, 1986;45:23–9. 66. Brosens J, Campo R, Gordts S, Brosens I, Submucous and
in press. 41. Brosens I, Boeckx W, Delattin P, et al., Salpingoscopy: a outer myometrium leyomyomas are two distinct clinical
19. Dicker D, Goldman JA, Levy T, et al., The impact of new preoperative diagnostic tool in tubal infertility, Br J entities, Fertil Steril, 2003;79:1452–4.
long-term gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue Obstet Gynaecol, 1987;94:768–73. 67. Lesny P, Killick SR, Tetlow RL,et al., Ultrasound evaluation
treatment on preclinical abortions in patients with severe 42. Puttemans P, Brosens I, Delattin P, et al., Salpingoscopy of the uterine zonal anatomy during in vitro fertilization
endometriosis undergoing in vitro fertilization-embryo versus hysterosalpingography in hydrosalpinges, Hum and embryo transfer, Hum Reprod, 1999;14:1593–8.
transfer, Fertil Steril, 1992;57:597–600. Reprod, 1987;2:535–40. 68. Grimbizis GF, Camus M, Tarlatzis BC, et al., Clinical
20. Kim CH, Cho YK, Mok JE, Simplified ultralong protocol of 43. Vasquez G, Boeckx W, Brosens I, No correlation between implications of uterine malformations and hysteroscopic
gonadotrophin-releasing hormone agonist for ovulation peritubal and mucosal adhesions in hydrosalpinges, Fertil treatment results, Hum Reprod Update, 2001;7:161–74.
induction with intrauterine insemination in patients with Steril, 1995;64:1032–3. 69. Sotirios H, Saravelos, Cocksedge KA, et al., Prevalence
endometriosis, Hum Reprod, 1996;11:398–402. 44. Brosens I, The value of salpingoscopy in tubal infertility, and diagnosis of congenital uterine anomalies in women
21. Barnhart K, Dunsmoor R, Coutifaris C, Effect of Reprod Med Rev, 1996:5:1–11. with reproductive failure; a critical appraisal, Hum Reprod
endometriosis on in vitro fertilization, Fertil Steril, 2002;77: 45. Marana R, Rizzi M, Muzii L, et al., Correlation between the Update, 2008;14:415–29.
1148–55. American Fertility Society classifications of adnexal 70. Kormanyos Z, Molnar BG, Pal A, Removal of a residual
22. Garcia-Velasco J, Somigliana E, Management of adhesions and distal tubal occlusion, salpingoscopy and portion of a uterine septum in women of advanced
endometriomas in women requiring IVF: to touch or not reproductive outcome in tubal surgery, Fertil Steril, 1995;64: reproductive age: obstetric outcome, Hum Reprod, 2006;21:
to touch, Hum Reprod, 2009;1:1–6. 924–49. 1047–51.
23. Ragni G, Somigliana E, Benedetti F, et al., Damage to 46. Heylen SM, Brosens IA, Puttemans P, Clinical value and 71. Maneschi F, Zupi E, Marconi D, et al., Hysteroscopically
ovarian reserve associated with laparoscopic excision of cumulative pregnancy rates following salpingoscopy detected asymptomatic mullerian anomalies. Prevalence
endometriomas: a quantitative rather than a qualitative during laparoscopy in infertility, Hum Reprod, 1995;10: and reproductive implications, J Reprod Med, 1995;40:684–8.
injury, Am J Obstet Gynecol, 2005;193:1908–14. 2913–16. 72. The American Fertility Society classifications of adnexal
24. Horikawa T, Nakagawa K, Ohgi S, et al., The frequency of 47. De Bruyne F, Puttemans P, Boeckx W, Brosens I, The adhesions, distal tubal occlusion, tubal occlusion
ovulation from the affected ovary decreases following clinical value of salpingoscopy in tubal infertility, Fertil Steril, secondary to tubal ligation, tubal pregnancies, mullerian
laparoscopic cystectomy in infertile women with unilateral 1989;51:339–40. anomalies and intrauterine adhesions, Fertil Steril, 1988;49:
endometrioma during a natural cycle, J Assist Reprod Genet, 48. Gordts S, Campo R, Rombauts L, Brosens I, Transvaginal 944–55.
2008;25:239–44. salpingoscopy: an office procedure for infertility 73. Salim R, Regan L, Woelfer B, et al., A comparative study of
25. Azem F, Lessing JB, Geva E, et al., Patients with stages investigation, Fertil Steril, 1998;70:523–6. the morphology of congenital uterine anomalies in
III-IV endometriosis have a poorer outcome of in vitro 49. Shibahara H, Fujiwara H, Hirano Y, et al., Usefulness of women with and without a history of recurrent first
fertilization -embryo transfer than patients with tubal transvaginal hydrolaparoscopy in investigating infertile trimester miscarriage, Hum Reprod, 2003;18:162–6.
infertility, Fertil Steril, 1999;72:1107–9. women with Chlamydia trachomatis infection, Hum Reprod, 74. Proctor JA, Haney AF, Recurrent first trimester pregnancy
26. Pal L Shifren JL, Isaacson Kb, et al., Impact of varying 2001;8:1690–93. loss is associated with uterine septum but not with
stages of endometriosis on the outcome of in vitro 50. Winston RM, Microsurgical tubocornual anastomosis for bicornuate uterus, Fertil Steril, 2003;80:1212–15.
fertilization-embryo transfer, J Assist Reprod Genet, 1998;14: reversal of sterilisation, Lancet, 1977;1:284–5. 75. Doridot V, Gervaise A, Taylor S, et al., Obstetric outcome
1332–4. 51. Siegler AM, Hulka J, Peretz A, Reversibility of female after endoscopic transection of the uterine septum, J Am
27. Somigliana E, Daguati R, Vercellini P, et al.,. The use and sterilization, Fertil Steril, 1985;43:499–510. Assoc Gynecol Laparosc, 2003;10:271–5.
effectiveness of in vitro fertilization in women with 52. Wilcox LS, Chu SY, Peterson HB, Characteristics of women 76. Nawroth F, Schmidt T, Freise C, et al., Uterus septus with
endometriosis: the surgeon’s perspective, Fertil Steril, 2008; who considered or obtained tubal reanastomosis: results primary infertility - an operating indication?, Zentralbl
in press. from a prospective study of tubal sterilization, Obstet Gynakol, 2001;123:644–7.
28. Littman E, Giudice L, Lathi R, et al., Role of laparoscopic Gynecol, 1990;75:661–5. 77. Mollo A, De Franciscis P, Colacurci N, et al., Hysteroscopic
treatment of endometriosis in patients with failed in vitro 53. Boeckx W, Gordts S, Buysse K, Brosens I, Reversibility after resection of the septum improves the pregnancy rate of
fertilization cycles, Fertil Steril, 2005;84:1574–8. female sterilization, Br J Obstet Gynaecol, 1986;93:839–42. women with unexplained infertility: a prospective
29. Fedele L, Bianchi S, Zanconato G, et al., Laparoscopic 54. Yoon TK, Sung HR, Cha SH, et al., Fertility outcome after controlled trial, Fertil Steril, 2008; in press.
excision of recurrent endometriomas: long-term outcome laparoscopic microsurgical tubal anastomosis, Fertil Steril, 78. Pabuccu R, Gomel V, Reproductive outcome after
and comparison with primary surgery, Fertil Steril, 2006;85: 1997;67:18–22. hysteroscopic metroplasty in women with septate uterus
694–9. 55. Kim SH, Shin CJ, Kim JG, et al., Microsurgical reversal of and otherwise unexplained infertility, Fertil Steril, 2004;81:
30. Hughesdon PE, The structure of endometrial cysts of the tubal sterilization: a report on 1,118 cases, Fertil Steril, 1675–8.
ovary, J Obstet Gynaecol Br, 1957;44:481–7. 1997;68:865–70. 79. Taylor E, Gomel V, The uterus and fertility, Fertil Steril,
31. Sampson JA, Perforating hemorrhagic (chocolate) cysts of 56. Trimbos-Kemper TC, Reversal of sterilization in women 2008;89:1–16.
the ovary, Arch Surgery, 1921;3:245–323. over 40 years of age: a multicenter survey in The 80. Homer A, Tin Chiu Li, Cooke ID, The septate uterus: a
32. Muzii L, Bianchi A, Crocé C, et al., Laparoscopic excision Netherlands, Fertil Steril, 1990;53:575–7. review of management and reproductive outcome, Fertil
of ovarian cysts: is the stripping technique a 57. Gordts S, Campo R, Puttemans P, Gordts S, Clinical factors Steril, 2000;73:1–14.
tissue-sparing procedure?, Fertil Steril, 2002;77:609–14. determining pregnancy outcome after microsurgical tubal 81. Lavergne N, Aristizabal J, Zarka V, et al., Uterine anomalies
33. Saleh A, Tulandi T, Reoperation after laparoscopic reanastomisis, Fertil Steril, 2008; in press. and in vitro fertilization: what are the results?, Eur J Obstet
treatment of ovarian endometriomas by excision and by 58. Boeckxstaens A, Devroey P, Collins J, Tournaye H, Getting Gynecol Reprod Biol, 1996;68:29–34.
fenestration, Fertil Steril, 1999;72:322–4. pregnant after tubal sterilization: surgical reversal or IVF?, 82. Heinonen PK, Kuismanen K, Ashorn R, Assisted
34. Mol BWJ, Collins JA, Burrows EA, et al., Comparison of Hum Reprod, 2007;22:2660–64. reproduction in women with uterine anomalies, Eur J Obstet
hysterosalpingography and laparoscopy in predicting 59. Hansen M, Kurinczuk JJ, Bower C, Webb S, The risk of Gynecol Reprod Biol, 2000;89:181–4.
fertility outcome, Hum Reprod, 1999;14:1237–42. major birth defects after intracytoplasmic sperm injection 83. Feinberg EC, Levens ED, DeCherney AH, Infertility surgery
35. Dechaud H, Daurés JP, Arnal F, et al., Does previous and in vitro fertilization, N Engl J Med, 2002;346:725–30. is dead: only the obituary remains?, Fertil Steril,
salpingectomy improve implantation and pregnancy rates 60. Campo R, Molinas CR, Rombauts L, et al., Prospective 2008;89:232–6.
in patients with severe tubal factor infertility who are multicentre randomized controlled trial to evaluate factors
EUROPEAN OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY 25
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40
| Page 41
| Page 42
| Page 43
| Page 44
| Page 45
| Page 46
| Page 47
| Page 48
| Page 49
| Page 50
| Page 51
| Page 52
| Page 53
| Page 54
| Page 55
| Page 56
| Page 57
| Page 58
| Page 59
| Page 60
| Page 61
| Page 62
| Page 63
| Page 64
| Page 65
| Page 66
| Page 67
| Page 68
| Page 69
| Page 70
| Page 71
| Page 72
| Page 73
| Page 74
| Page 75
| Page 76
| Page 77
| Page 78
| Page 79
| Page 80
| Page 81
| Page 82
| Page 83
| Page 84