Mulvagh_Cardiology_book_temp 26/10/2009 12:20 Page 24
1. Fortuin NJ, Weiss JL, Mason SJ, Weisfeldt ML, Studies by Cardiol, 1993;22(1):159–67. 2002;39(4):625–31.
echocardiography of regional and global cardiac function 18. Hoffmann R, Lethen H, Kleinhans E, et al., Comparative 34. Arruda AM, Das MK, Roger VL, et al., Prognostic value of
during exercise, Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc, 1979;90: evaluation of bicycle and dobutamine stress exercise echocardiography in 2,632 patients > or = 65
174–82. echocardiography with perfusion scintigraphy and years of age, J Am Coll Cardiol, 2001;37(4):1036–41.
2. Mason SJ, Weiss JL, Weisfeldt ML, et al., Exercise bicycle electrocardiogram for identification of coronary 35. Marwick TH, Case C, Sawada S, et al., Use of stress
echocardiography: detection of wall motion artery disease, Am J Cardiol, 1993;72(7):555–9. echocardiography to predict mortality in patients with
abnormalities during ischemia, Circulation, 19. Hecht HS, DeBord L, Shaw R, et al., Supine bicycle stress diabetes and known or suspected coronary artery
1979;59(1):50–59. echocardiography versus tomographic thallium-201 disease, Diabetes Care, 2002;25(6):1042–8.
3. Pellikka PA, Nagueh SF, Elhendy AA, et al., American exercise imaging for the detection of coronary artery 36. Desideri A, Fioretti PM, Cortigiani L, et al., Pre-discharge
Society of Echocardiography recommendations for disease, J Am Soc Echocardiogr, 1993;6(2):177–85. stress echocardiography and exercise ECG for risk
performance, interpretation, and application of stress 20. Pozzoli MM, Fioretti PM, Salustri A, Reijs AE, Roelandt JR, stratification after uncomplicated acute myocardial
echocardiography, J Am Soc Echocardiogr, Exercise echocardiography and technetium-99m MIBI infarction: results of the COSTAMI-II (cost of strategies
2007;20(9):1021–41. single-photon emission computed tomography in the after myocardial infarction) trial, Heart, 2005;91(2):146–51.
4. Skolnick DG, Sawada SG, Feigenbaum H, Segar DS, detection of coronary artery disease, Am J Cardiol, 37. Arruda AM, McCully RB, Oh JK, et al., Prognostic value of
Enhanced endocardial visualization with noncontrast 1991;67(5):350–55. exercise echocardiography in patients after coronary
harmonic imaging during stress echocardiography, J Am 21. Salustri A, Pozzoli MM, Hermans W, et al., Relationship artery bypass surgery, Am J Cardiol, 2001;87(9):1069–73.
Soc Echocardiogr, 1999;12(7):559–63. between exercise echocardiography and perfusion 38. Marwick TH, Case C, Sawada S, et al., Prediction of
5. Mulvagh SL, Rakowski H, Vannan MA, et al., American single-photon emission computed tomography in outcomes in hypertensive patients with suspected
Society of Echocardiography Consensus Statement on patients with single-vessel coronary artery disease, coronary disease, Hypertension, 2002;39(6):1113–18.
the Clinical Applications of Ultrasonic Contrast Agents in Am Heart J, 1992;124(1):75–83. 39. Biagini E, Schinkel AF, Elhendy A, et al., Pacemaker stress
Echocardiography, J Am Soc Echocardiogr, 2008;21(11): 22. Parodi G, Picano E, Marcassa C, et al., High dose echocardiography predicts cardiac events in patients
1179–1201, quiz 1281. dipyridamole myocardial imaging: simultaneous with permanent pacemaker, Am J Med,
6. Picano E, Mathias W Jr, Pingitore A, et al., Safety and sestamibi scintigraphy and two-dimensional 2005;118(12):1381–6.
tolerability of dobutamine-atropine stress echocardiography in the detection and evaluation of 40. Cortigiani L, Picano E, Vigna C, et al., Prognostic value of
echocardiography: a prospective, multicentre study. Echo coronary artery disease. Italian Group of Nuclear pharmacologic stress echocardiography in patients with
Dobutamine International Cooperative Study Group, Cardiology, Coron Artery Dis, 1999;10(3):177–84. left bundle branch block, Am J Med, 2001;110(5):361–9.
Lancet, 1994;344(8931):1190–92. 23. Michael TA, Antonescu A, Bhambi B, Balasingam S, 41. Poldermans D, Bax JJ, Elhendy A, et al., Long-term
7. Geleijnse ML, Fioretti PM, Roelandt JR, Methodology, Accuracy and usefulness of atrial pacing in conjunction prognostic value of dobutamine stress echocardiography
feasibility, safety and diagnostic accuracy of dobutamine with transthoracic echocardiography in the detection of in patients with atrial fibrillation, Chest, 2001;119(1):144–9.
stress echocardiography, J Am Coll Cardiol, 1997;30(3): cardiac ischemia, Am J Cardiol, 1996;77(2):187–90. 42. Iliceto S, Caiati C, Ricci A, et al., Prediction of
595–606. 24. Atar S, Cercek B, Nagai T, et al., Transthoracic stress cardiac events after uncomplicated myocardial
8. Picano E, Stress echocardiography. From echocardiography with transesophageal atrial pacing for infarction by cross-sectional echocardiography during
pathophysiological toy to diagnostic tool, Circulation, bedside evaluation of inducible myocardial ischemia in transesophageal atrial pacing, Int J Cardiol, 1990;28(1):
1992;85(4):1604–12. patients with new-onset chest pain, Am J Cardiol, 95–103.
9. Rainbird AJ, Pellikka PA, Stussy VL, et al., A rapid stress- 2000;86(1):12–16. 43. Plonska E, Kasprzak JD, Kornacewicz-Jach Z, Long-term
testing protocol for the detection of coronary artery 25. Senior R, Monaghan M, Main ML, et al., Detection of prognostic value of transesophageal atrial pacing stress
disease: comparison of two-stage transesophageal atrial coronary artery disease with perfusion stress echocardiography, J Am Soc Echocardiogr, 2005;18(7):
pacing stress echocardiography with dobutamine stress echocardiography using a novel ultrasound imaging 749–56.
echocardiography, J Am Coll Cardiol, 2000;36(5):1659–63. agent: two Phase 3 international trials in comparison 44. Garber AM, Solomon NA, Cost-effectiveness of
10. Roger VL, Pellikka PA, Oh JK, et al., Stress with radionuclide perfusion imaging, Eur J Echocardiogr, alternative test strategies for the diagnosis of coronary
echocardiography. Part I. Exercise echocardiography: 2009;10(1):26–35. artery disease. Ann Intern Med, 1999;130(9):719–28.
techniques, implementation, clinical applications, and 26. Marwick TH, Case C, Short L, Thomas JD, Prediction of 45. Patterson RE, Eisner RL, Horowitz SF, Comparison of cost-
correlations, Mayo Clin Proc, 1995;70(1):5–15. mortality in patients without angina: use of an exercise effectiveness and utility of exercise ECG, single photon
11. Park TH, Tayan N, Takeda K, et al., Supine bicycle score and exercise echocardiography, Eur Heart J, emission computed tomography, positron emission
echocardiography improved diagnostic accuracy and 2003;24(13):1223–30. tomography, and coronary angiography for diagnosis of
physiologic assessment of coronary artery disease with 27. Metz LD, Beattie M, Hom R, et al., The prognostic value of coronary artery disease, Circulation, 1995;91(1):54–65.
the incorporation of intermediate stages of exercise, J Am normal exercise myocardial perfusion imaging and 46. Marwick TH, Shaw L, Case C, Vasey C, Thomas JD, Clinical
Coll Cardiol, 2007;50(19):1857–63. exercise echocardiography: a meta-analysis, J Am Coll and economic impact of exercise electrocardiography
12. Marwick TH, Nemec JJ, Pashkow FJ, et al., Accuracy and Cardiol, 2007;49(2):227–37. and exercise echocardiography in clinical practice, Eur
limitations of exercise echocardiography in a routine 28. McCully RB, Roger VL, Mahoney DW, et al., Outcome after Heart J, 2003;24(12):1153–63.
clinical setting, J Am Coll Cardiol, 1992;19(1):74–81. normal exercise echocardiography and predictors of 47. Jeetley P, Burden L, Stoykova B, Senior R, Clinical and
13. Quinones MA, Verani MS, Haichin RM, et al., Exercise subsequent cardiac events: follow-up of 1,325 patients, economic impact of stress echocardiography compared
echocardiography versus 201Tl single-photon emission J Am Coll Cardiol, 1998;31(1):144–9. with exercise electrocardiography in patients with
computed tomography in evaluation of coronary artery 29. Sicari R, Pasanisi E, Venneri L, et al., Stress echo results suspected acute coronary syndrome but negative
disease. Analysis of 292 patients, Circulation, 1992;85(3): predict mortality: a large-scale multicenter prospective troponin: a prospective randomized controlled study,
1026–31. international study, J Am Coll Cardiol, 2003;41(4):589–95. Eur Heart J, 2007;28(2):204–11.
14. Fleischmann KE, Hunink MG, Kuntz KM, Douglas PS, 30. Chung G, Krishnamani R, Senior R, Prognostic value of 48. Sharples L, Hughes V, Crean A, et al., Cost-effectiveness
Exercise echocardiography or exercise SPECT imaging? A normal stress echocardiogram in patients with suspected of functional cardiac testing in the diagnosis and
meta-analysis of diagnostic test performance, J Nucl coronary artery disease—a British general hospital management of coronary artery disease: a randomised
Cardiol, 2002;9(1):133–4. experience, Int J Cardiol, 2004;94(2
3):181–6. controlled trial. The CECaT trial, Health Technol Assess,
15. Schinkel AF, Bax JJ, Geleijnse ML, et al., Noninvasive 31. Shaw LJ, Eagle KA, Gersh BJ, Miller DD, Meta-analysis of 2007;11(49):iii–iv, ix–115.
evaluation of ischaemic heart disease: myocardial intravenous dipyridamole-thallium-201 imaging (1985 to 49. Shaw LJ, Marwick TH, Berman DS, et al., Incremental
perfusion imaging or stress echocardiography?, Eur Heart 1994) and dobutamine echocardiography (1991 to 1994) cost-effectiveness of exercise echocardiography vs.
J, 2003;24(9):789–800. for risk stratification before vascular surgery, J Am Coll SPECT imaging for the evaluation of stable chest pain,
16. Smart SC, Bhatia A, Hellman R, et al., Dobutamine- Cardiol, 1996;27(4):787–98. Eur Heart J, 2006;27(20):2448–58.
atropine stress echocardiography and dipyridamole 32. Olmos LI, Dakik H, Gordon R, et al., Long-term prognostic 50. Lauer MS, Elements of danger—the case of medical
sestamibi scintigraphy for the detection of coronary value of exercise echocardiography compared with imaging, N Engl J Med, 2009;361(9):841–3.
artery disease: limitations and concordance, J Am Coll exercise 201Tl, ECG, and clinical variables in patients 51. Shaw LJ, Hachamovitch R, Berman DS, et al., The
Cardiol, 2000;36(4):1265–73. evaluated for coronary artery disease, Circulation, economic consequences of available diagnostic and
17. Marwick T, D’Hondt AM, Baudhuin T, et al., Optimal use of 1998;98(24):2679–86. prognostic strategies for the evaluation of stable angina
dobutamine stress for the detection and evaluation of 33. Arruda-Olson AM, Juracan EM, Mahoney DW, et al., patients: an observational assessment of the value of
coronary artery disease: combination with Prognostic value of exercise echocardiography in 5,798 precatheterization ischemia. Economics of Noninvasive
echocardiography or scintigraphy, or both? J Am Coll patients: is there a gender difference?, J Am Coll Cardiol, Diagnosis (END) Multicenter Study Group, J Am Coll Cardiol,
24 US CARDIOLOGY