nesbitt_Cardiology_book_temp 26/10/2009 13:47 Page 62
consider the socioeconomic, lifestyle and educational background of educate your patient on the disease, treatment expectations, and
the patient in making drug choices; and specific lifestyle modifications that are indicated. n
1. Ong KL et al., Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and 2004;109(21):2511–17. Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial-Blood Pressure
control of hypertension among United States adults 23. Cooper RS, Rotimi CN, Ward R, The puzzle of hypertension Lowering Arm (ASCOT-BPLA): a multicentre randomised
1999–2004, Hypertension, 2007;49:69–75. in African-Americans, Sci Am, 1999;280:56–62. controlled trial, Lancet, 2005;366:895–906.
2. Lloyd-Jones D, Adams R, Carnethon M, et al., Heart Disease 24. Cooper R, Rotimi C, Ataman S, et al., The prevalence of 42. Weber MA, Bakris GL, Dahlöf B, et al., Baseline
and Stroke Statistics—2009 Update. A Report From the hypertension in seven populations of West African origin, characteristics in the Avoiding Cardiovascular events
American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Am J Public Health, 1997;87:160–68. through Combination therapy in Patients Living with
Stroke Statistics Subcommittee, Circulation, 2009;119:e21–81. 25. Ordunez-Garcia PO, Espinosa-Brito AD, Cooper RS, et al., Systolic Hypertension (ACCOMPLISH) trial: a hypertensive
3. Jago R , Harrell JS, McMurray RG, et al., Prevalence of Hypertension in Cuba: evidence of a narrow black–white population at high cardiovascular risk, Blood Press,
Abnormal Lipid and Blood Pressure Values among an difference, J Hum Hypertens, 1998;12:111–16. 2007;16(1):4–5.
Ethnically Diverse Population of Eighth-Grade Adolescents 26. Ogedegbe G, Mancuso CA, Allegrante JP, Expectations of 43. Jamerson K, Weber MA, Bakris GL, et al., for the
and Screening Implications, Pediatrics, 2006;117:2065–73. blood pressure management in hypertensive African- ACCOMPLISH Trial Investigators, Benazepril plus Amlodipine
4. Sharma S, Malarcher AM, Giles WH, Myers G, Racial, ethnic American patients: a qualitative study, J Natl Med Assoc, or Hydrochlorothiazide for Hypertension in High-Risk
and socioeconomic disparities in the clustering of 2004;96:442–9. Patients, N Engl J Med, 2008;359:2417–28.
cardiovascular disease risk factors, Ethnicity Dis, 27. Svetkey LP, Simons-Morton D, Vollmer WM, et al. for the 44. Jamerson K, American Society of Hypertension presentation
2004;14:43–8. DASH Research Group, Effects of Dietary Patterns on Blood 2009.
5. Sharma AM, Is There a Rationale for Angiotensin Blockade Pressure Subgroup Analysis of the Dietary Approaches to 45. The Ongoing Telmisartan Alone and in Combination with
in the Management of Obesity Hypertension?, Hypertension, Stop Hypertension (DASH) Randomized Clinical Trial, Arch Ramipril Global Endpoint Trial (ONTARGET) Investigators,
2004;44:12–19. Intern Med, 1999;159:285–93. Telmisartan, Ramipril, or Both in Patients at High Risk for
6. Nesbitt SD, Hypertension in black patients: special issues 28. Appel LJ, Moore TJ, Obarzanek E, et al., A clinical trial of the Vascular Events, N Engl J Med, 2008;358:1547–59.
and considerations, Curr Hypertens Rep, 2005;7:244–8. effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH 46. Kunz R, Friedrich C, Wolbers M, Mann JF, Meta-analysis:
7. Harshfield GA, Don Y, Kapuku GK, Zhu H, Hanevold CD, Collaborative Research Group, N Engl J Med, 1997;336: effect of monotherapy and combination therapy with
Stress-Induced Sodium Retention and Hypertension: A 1117–24. inhibitors of the renin angiotensin system on proteinuria in
Review and Hypothesis, Curr HTN Rep, 2009;11:29–34. 29. Cushman WC, Reda DJ, Perry HM, et al., Regional and racial renal disease, Ann Intern Med, 2008;148:30–48.
8. MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep, July 17, 2009 differences in response to antihypertensive medication use 47. Mann JFE, Schmieder RE, McQueen M, et al., on behalf of
9. Gadegbeku CA, Lea JP, Jamerson KA, Update on disparities in a randomized controlled trial of men with hypertension the ONTARGET investigators, Renal outcomes with
in the pathophysiology and management of hypertension: in the United States. Department of Veterans Affairs telmisartan, ramipril, or both, in people at high vascular risk
focus on African Americans, Med Clin North Am, Cooperative Study Group on Antihypertensive Agents, Arch (the ONTARGET study):a multicentre, randomised, double-
2005;89:921–33. Intern Med, 2000;160:825–31. blind, controlled trial, Lancet, 2008;372:547–53.
10. Weinberger MH, Fineberg NS, Fineberg SE, Weinberger M, 30. Wright JT Jr, Dunn JK, Cutler JA, et al., Outcomes in 48. Parving HH, Persson F, Lewis J, et al.; for the AVOID Study
Salt sensitivity, pulse pressure and death in normal and hypertensive black and nonblack patients treated with Investigators, Aliskerin Combined with Losartan in Type 2
hypertensive humans, Hypertension, 2001;37:429–32. chlorthalidone, amlodipine, and lisinopril, JAMA, diabetes and nephropathy, N Engl J Med, 2008;358(23):
11. Baker EH, Duggal A, Dong Y, et al., Amiloride, a Specific 2005;293:1595–1608. 2433–46.
Drug for Hypertension in Black People With T594M Variant?, 31. Mokwe E, Ohmit SE, Nasser SA, et al., Determinants of 49. Persson F, Rossing P, Reinhard H, et al., Renal effects of
Hypertension, 2002;40. blood pressure response to quinapril in black and white Aliskiren compared to and in combination with irbesartan
12. Ergul S, Parish DC, Puett D, Ergul A, Racial Differences in hypertensive patients: the Quinapril Titration Interval in patients with type 2 diabetes, hypertension and
Plasma Endothelin-1 Concentrations in Individuals With Management Evaluation trial, Hypertension, 2004;43:1202–07. albuminuria, Diabetes Care, 2009, Epub ahead of print.
Essential Hypertension, Hypertension, 1996;28:652–5. 32. Agodoa LY, Appel L, Bakris GL, et al., for the AASK Study 50. Sever PS, Gradman AH, Azizi M, Managing cardiovascular
13. Ray CA, Monahan KD, Sympathetic vascular transduction is Group. Effect of ramipril vs amlodipine on renal outcomes and renal risk: the potential of direct rennin inhibition, J
augmented in young normotensive blacks, J Appl Physiol, in hypertensive nephrosclerosis, JAMA, 2001;285:2719–28. Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst, 2009;10:65–76.
2002;92:651–6. 33. Wu J, Kraja AT, Oberman A, et al., A Summary of the Effects 51. Solomon SD, Appelbaum E, Manning W, et al.; for the
14. Treiber FA, Jackson RW, Davis H, et al., Racial differences in of Antihypertensive medications on measured blood Aliskiren in Left Ventricular Hypertrophy (ALLAY) Trial
endothelin-1 at rest and in response to acute stress in pressure, Am J Hypertens, 2005;18:935–42. Investigators, Effect of the Direct Renin Inhibitor Aliskiren,
adolescent males, Hypertension, 2000;35:722–5. 34. Sehgal AR, Overlap between whites and blacks in response the Angiotensin Receptor Blocker Losartan, or Both on
15. Suthanthiran M, Li B, Song JO, et al., Transforming growth to antihypertensive drugs, Hypertension, 2004;43(3):566–72. Left Ventricular Mass in Patients with Hypertension
factor-beta 1 hyperexpression in African-American 35. Vita JA, Nitric Oxide and Vascular Reactivity in African and Left Ventricular Hypertrophy, Circulation, 2009;119:
hypertensives: a novel mediator of hypertension and/or American Patients with Hypertension, J Cardiac Fail, 530–37.
target organ damage, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2000;97: 2003;9(Suppl):S199–204. 52. Douglas JG, Bakris GL, Epstein M, et al., Management of
3479–84. 36. Mason RP, Kalinowski L, Jacob RF, et al., Nebivolol Reduces high blood pressure in African-Americans: consensus
16. Sowers JR, Zemel MB, Zemel P, et al., Salt sensitivity in Nitroxidative Stress and Restores Nitric Oxide Bioavailability statement of the Hypertension in African-Americans
blacks. Salt intake and natriuretic substances, Hypertension, in Endothelium of Black Americans, Circulation, 2005;112: Working Group of the International Society on Hypertension
1988;12:485–90. 3795–3801. in Blacks, Arch Intern Med, 2003;163:525–41.
17. Johnson JA , Burlew BS, Stiles RN, Racial Differences in 37. Saunders E, Smith WB, DeSalvo KB, Sullivan WA, The 53. Rosendorff C, Black HR, Cannon CP, et al., Treatment of
beta]-Adrenoceptor-Mediated Responsiveness, J Cardiovasc efficacy and tolerability of nebivolol in hypertensive African Hypertension in the Prevention and Management of
Pharmacol, 1995;25:90–96. American patients, J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich), 2007;9(11): Ischemic Heart Disease. A Scientific Statement from the
18. Calhoun DA, Mutinga ML, Collins AS, Wyss JM, Oparil S, 866–75. American Heart Association Council for High Blood
Normotensive blacks have heightened sympathetic 38. Townsend RR, DiPette DJ, Goodman R, et al., Combined Pressure Research and the Councils on Clinical Cardiology
response to cold pressor test, Hypertension, 1993;22:801–5. alpha/beta-blockade versus beta 1-selective blockade in and Epidemiology and Prevention, Circulation,
19. Profant J, Dimsdale JE, Race and Diurnal Blood Pressure essential hypertension in black and white patients, Clin 2007;115:2761–88.
Patterns. A Review and Meta-Analysis, Hypertension, Pharmacol Ther, 1990;48(6):665–75. 54. Leitschuh M, Cupples LA, Kannel W, Gagnon D, Chobanian
1999;33:1099–104. 39. Jawa A, Nachimuthu S, Pendergrass M, et al., Beta-blockers A, High normal blood pressure progression to hypertension
20. Campese VM, Tawadrous M, Bigazzi R, et al., Salt Intake and have a beneficial effect upon endothelial function and in the Framingham heart study, Hypertension, 1991;17:22–7.
Plasma Atrial Natriuretic Peptide and Nitric Oxide in microalbuminuria in African-American subjects with 55. Julius S, Nesbitt SD, Egan BM for the Trial of Preventing
Hypertension, Hypertension, 1996;28:335–40. diabetes and hypertension, J Diabetes Comp, 2008;22:303–8. Hypertension (TROPHY) Study Investigators, Feasibility of
21. Somova L, Mufunda J, Ethnic differences of renin-sodium 40. Yancy CW, Fowler MB, Colucci WS, et al., Race and the Treating Prehypertension with an Angiotensin-Receptor
profile and renal prostaglandins in the pathogenesis of response to adrenergic blockade with carvedilol in patients Blocker, N Engl J Med, 2006;354:1685–97.
systemic arterial hypertension, Cent Afr J Med, with chronic heart failure, N Engl J Med, 2001;344:1358–65. 56. Wyatt SB, Akylbekova EL, Wofford MR, et al., Prevalence,
1996;42:170–75. 41. Dahlof B, Sever PS, Poulter NR, et al., Prevention of Awareness, Treatment, and Control of Hypertension in the
22. Kalinowski L, Dobrucki IT, Malinski T, Race-Specific cardiovascular events with an antihypertensive regimen of Jackson Heart Study, Hypertension, 2008;51:650–56.
Differences in Endothelial Function. Predisposition of amlodipine adding perindopril as required versus atenolol
African Americans to Vascular Diseases, Circulation, adding bendroflumethiazide as required, in the Anglo-
62 US CARDIOLOGY