Lung Cancer 1984;130:545–9. 8. 9.
Fontana RS, Sanderson DR, Woolner LB, et al., Screening for lung cancer: a critique of the Mayo Lung Project, Cancer, 1991;67(Suppl. 4):1155–64.
Melamed MR, Flehinger BJ, Zaman MB, et al., Screening for early lung cancer. Results of the Memorial Sloan- Kettering study in New York, Chest, 1984;86:44–53.
10. Kubík A, PoláK J, Lung Cancer Detection: Results of a Randomized Prospective Study in Czechoslovakia, Cancer, 1986;57:2427–37.
11. Kubík AK, Parkin DM, Zatloukal P, Czech Study on Lung Cancer Screening: Post-Trial Follow Up of Lung Cancer Deaths Up to Year 15 Since Enrollment, Cancer, 2000; 89(Suppl. 11):2363–8.
12. Manser R, Irving LB, Stone C, et al., Screening for lung cancer, Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2004;(1):CD001991.
13. Frost JK, Ball WC, Jr, Levin ML, et al., Early lung cancer detection: results of the initial (prevalence) radiologic and cytologic screening in the Johns Hopkins study, Am Rev Respir Dis, 1984;130:549–54.
14. Muhm JR, Miller WE, Fontana RS, et al., Lung cancer detected during a screening programme using four- month chest radiographs, Radiology, 1983;148:609–15.
15. Midthun DE, Jett JR, Chapter 4: Screening for lung cancer. In: Spiro SG, Huber RM, Janes SM (eds), Thoracic Malignancies, Eur Respir Mon, 2009;44:57–70.
16. Kaneko M, Eguchi K, Ohmatsu et al. Peripheral lung cancer: screening and detection with low-dose spiral CT versus radiography, Radiology, 1996;201:798–802.
17. Sone S, Takashima S, Li F, et al., Mass screening for lung cancer with mobile spiral computed tomography scanner, Lancet, 1998;351:1242–5.
18. Henschke CI, McCauley DI, Yankelevitz DF, et al., Early Lung Cancer Action Project: overall design and findings from baseline screening, Lancet, 1999;354:99–105.
19. The International Early Lung Cancer Action Programme Investigators. Survival of Patients with Stage I Lung Cancer Detected on CT Screening, N Engl J Med, 2006;355:1763–71.
20. McWilliams A, Mayo J, MacDonald S, et al., Lung cancer screening: a different paradigm, Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2003;168:1167–73.
21. Diederich S, Wormanns D, Semik M, et al., Screening for early lung cancer with low dose spiral CT: prevalence in 817 asymptomatic smokers, Radiology, 2002;222:773–81.
22. Swensen SJ, Jett JR, Hartman TE, et al., CT screening for lung cancer: five-year prospective experience, Radiology, 2005;235:259–65.
23. Crestanello JA, Allen MS, Jett JR, et al., Thoracic surgical operations in patients enrolled in a computed tomography screening trial, J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 2004;128:254–9.
24. Zackrisson S, Andersson I, Janzon L, et al., Rate of over- diagnosis of breast cancer 15 years after end of Mälmo mammographic screening trial: follow-up study, BMJ, 2006;332(7543):689–92.
25. Draisma G, Boer R, Otto SJ, et al., Lead times and overdetection due to prostate-specific antigen screening: estimates from the European randomized study of screening for prostate cancer, J Natl Cancer Inst, 2003;95:868–78.
26. Bach PB, Silvestri GA, Hanger M, et al., Screening for Lung Cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd Edition), Chest, 2007;132:69S–77S.
27. Aberle DR, Black WC, Golding JG, et al., Experimental design and outcomes of the National Lung Screening Trial (NLST): a multicenter randomized controlled trial of the helical CT vs chest X-ray for lung cancer screening (abstract), Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2003;167:A736.
28. UK lung cancer screening trial (UKLS) – Feasibility study and protocol development, www.hta.ac.uk/1752
(accessed 28 June 2010).
29. van Iersel CA, de Koning HJ, Draisma G, et al., Risk-based selection from the general population in a screening trial: Selection criteria, recruitment and power for the Dutch- Belgian randomised lung cancer multi-slice CT screening trial (NELSON), Int J Cancer, 2006;120:868–74.
30. McWilliams AM, Mayo JR, Ahn MI, et al., Lung cancer screening using multi-slice thin-section computed tomography and autofluorescence bronchoscopy, J Thorac Oncol, 2006;1:61–8.
31. Ghosal R, Kloer P, Lewis KE, A review of novel biological tools used in screening for the early detection of lung cancer, Postgrad Med J, 2009;85:358–63.
32. NHS Executive, Referral guidelines for suspected cancer, Department of Health, London, 2002.
33. Corner J, Hopkinson J, Fitzsimmons D, et al., Is late diagnosis of lung cancer inevitable? Interview study of patients’ recollections of symptoms before diagnosis, Thorax, 2005;60:314–19.
34. Buccheri G, Ferrigno D, Lung cancer: Clinical presentation and specialist referral time, Eur Respir J, 2004;24:98–904.
35. Smith SM, Campbell NC, MacLeod U, et al., Factors contributing to the time taken to consult with symptoms of lung cancer: a cross sectional study, Thorax, 2009;64: 523–31.
36. Koyi H, Hillerdal G, Brandén E, Patient’s and doctors’ delays in the diagnosis of chest tumours, Lung Cancer, 2002;35:53–7.
37. Bowen EF, Raynor CFJ, Patient and GP led delays in the recognition of symptoms suggestive of lung cancer, Lung Cancer, 2002;37:227–8.
38. Salomaa E-R, Sällinen S, Hiekkanen H, et al., Delays in
the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer, Chest, 2005;128: 2282–8.
39. Lövgren M, Leveälahti H, Tishelman C, et al., Time spans from first symptom to treatment in patients with lung cancer – The influence of symptoms and demographic characteristics, Acta Oncologica, 2008;47:397–405.
40. Corner J, Hopkinson J, Roffe J, Experience of health changes and reasons for delay in seeking care: A UK study of the months prior to the diagnosis of lung cancer, Soc Sci Med, 2006;62:1381–91.
41. Tod A, Craven J, Allmark P, Diagnostic delay in lung cancer: a qualitative study, J Adv Nurs, 2008;61(3):336–43.
42. National Institute for Clinical Excellence. Lung Cancer: NICE guidelines 2005, www.nice.org.uk/CG024
guidelines (accessed 28 June 2010).
43. Jones RVH, Dudgeon TA, Time between presentation and treatment of six common cancers: a study in Devon, Br J Gen Pract, 1992;42:419–22.
44. Annakkaya AN, Arbak P, Balbay O, et al., Effect of symptom-to-treatment interval on prognosis in lung cancer, Tumori, 2007;93:61–7.
45. Bjerager M, Palshof T, Dahl R, et al., Delay in the diagnosis of lung cancer in general practice, Br J Gen Pract, 2006;56:863–8.
46. Barrett J, Hamilton W, Pathways to the diagnosis of lung cancer in the UK: a cohort study, BMC Family Practice, 2008;9:31.
47. Department of Health: Cancer Reform Strategy, Crown, 2007, www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_
digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_081007.pdf (accessed 28 June 2010).
48. Abdel-Rehman M, Stockton D, Rachet B, et al., What if cancer survival in Britain was the same as in Europe: how many deaths are avoidable?, Br J Cancer, 2009;101:S115–24.
49. Richards MA, The National Awareness and Early Detection Initiative in England: assembling the evidence, Br J Cancer, 2009;101:S1–4.
50. Evans WD, McCormack L, Applying Social Marketing in Health Care: Communicating Evidence to Change Consumer Behaviour, Med Decis Making, 2008;28:781.
51. Hastings G, McDermott L, Putting social marketing into practice, BMJ, 2006;332:1210–12.
52. Tod AM, Suckling R, Early Lung Cancer Identification in Doncaster (ELCID), Lung Cancer, 2009;63(1):S19.
53. Rogers TK, Athey V, Tod A, et al., Early detection of lung cancer: A social marketing evaluation, Thorax, 2009;64 (Suppl. IV):A21.
54. Social marketing boosts early detection of lung cancer in Doncaster, www.info.cancerresearchuk.org/
m (accessed 28 June 2010).
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40
| Page 41
| Page 42
| Page 43
| Page 44
| Page 45
| Page 46
| Page 47
| Page 48
| Page 49
| Page 50
| Page 51
| Page 52
| Page 53
| Page 54
| Page 55
| Page 56
| Page 57
| Page 58
| Page 59
| Page 60
| Page 61
| Page 62
| Page 63
| Page 64
| Page 65
| Page 66
| Page 67
| Page 68
| Page 69
| Page 70
| Page 71
| Page 72
| Page 73
| Page 74
| Page 75
| Page 76
| Page 77
| Page 78
| Page 79
| Page 80
| Page 81
| Page 82
| Page 83
| Page 84
| Page 85
| Page 86
| Page 87
| Page 88
| Page 89
| Page 90
| Page 91
| Page 92