The Challenge of Lipid Management in Patients with Diabetes or Other Endocrine Disorders
1. American Diabetes Association, Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus, Diabetes Care, 2010;33(Suppl. 1):S62–9.
2. Schramm TK, Gislason GH, Kober L, et al., Diabetes patients requiring glucose-lowering therapy and nondiabetics with a prior myocardial infarction carry the same cardiovascular risk: a population study of 3.3 million people, Circulation, 2008;117:1945–54.
3. Spencer EA, Pirie KL, Stevens RJ, et al., Diabetes and modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease: the prospective Million Women Study, Eur J Epidemiol, 2008;23:793–9.
4. Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, et al., Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030, Diabetes Care, 2004;27:1047–53.
5. Chahil TJ, Ginsberg HN, Diabetic dyslipidemia, Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am, 2006;35:491–510, vii–viii.
6. Turner RC, Millns H, Neil HA, et al., Risk factors for coronary artery disease in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus: United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS: 23), BMJ, 1998;316:823–8.
7. Haffner SM, Lehto S, Ronnemaa T, et al., Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction, N Engl J Med, 1998;339:229–34.
8. Kreisberg RA, Diabetic dyslipidemia, Am J Cardiol, 1998;82:67U–73U; discussion 85U–86U.
9. Moon YS, Kashyap ML, Pharmacologic treatment of type 2 diabetic dyslipidemia, Pharmacotherapy, 2004;24:1692–713.
10. Guyton JR, Niacin in cardiovascular prevention: mechanisms, efficacy, and safety, Curr Opin Lipidol, 2007;18:415–20.
11. Colhoun HM, Betteridge DJ, Durrington PN, et al., Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with atorvastatin in type 2 diabetes in the Collaborative Atorvastatin Diabetes Study (CARDS): multicentre randomised placebo-controlled trial, Lancet, 2004;364:685–96.
12. Koskinen P, Manttari M, Manninen V, et al., Coronary heart disease incidence in NIDDM patients in the Helsinki Heart Study, Diabetes Care, 1992;15:820–5.
13. Pyorala K, Pedersen TR, Kjekshus J, et al., Cholesterol lowering with simvastatin improves prognosis of diabetic patients with coronary heart disease. A subgroup analysis of the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S), Diabetes Care, 1997;20:614–20.
14. Sacks FM, Pfeffer MA, Moye LA, et al., The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels. Cholesterol and Recurrent Events Trial investigators, N Engl J Med, 1996;335:1001–9.
15. The BIP Study Group, Secondary prevention by raising HDL cholesterol and reducing triglycerides in patients with coronary artery disease: the Bezafibrate Infarction
Prevention (BIP) study, Circulation, 2000;102:21–7.
16. Manninen V, Tenkanen L, Koskinen P, et al., Joint effects of serum triglyceride and LDL cholesterol and HDL cholesterol concentrations on coronary heart disease risk in the Helsinki Heart Study. Implications for treatment, Circulation, 1992;85:37–45.
17. Scott R, O’Brien R, Fulcher G, et al., Effects of fenofibrate treatment on cardiovascular disease risk in 9,795 individuals with type 2 diabetes and various components of the metabolic syndrome: the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study, Diabetes Care, 2009;32:493–8.
18. Ginsberg HN, Elam MB, Lovato LC, et al., Effects of combination lipid therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus, N Engl J Med, 2010;362:1563–74.
19. Baigent C, Keech A, Kearney PM, et al., Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins, Lancet, 2005;366:1267–78.
20. Kearney PM, Blackwell L, Collins R, et al., Efficacy of cholesterol-lowering therapy in 18,686 people with diabetes in 14 randomised trials of statins: a meta-analysis, Lancet, 2008;371:117–25.
21. Armitage J, The safety of statins in clinical practice, Lancet, 2007;370:1781–90.
22. Freeman DJ, Norrie J, Sattar N, et al., Pravastatin and the development of diabetes mellitus: evidence for a protective treatment effect in the West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study, Circulation, 2001;103:357–62.
23. Ridker PM, Danielson E, Fonseca FA, et al., Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive protein, N Engl J Med, 2008;359:2195–207.
24. Collins R, Armitage J, Parish S, et al., MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin in 5963 people with diabetes: a randomised placebo-controlled trial, Lancet, 2003;361:2005–16.
25. Sever PS, Dahlof B, Poulter NR, et al., Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial—Lipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial, Lancet, 2003;361:1149–58.
26. Keech A, Colquhoun D, Best J, et al., Secondary prevention of cardiovascular events with long-term pravastatin in patients with diabetes or impaired fasting glucose: results from the LIPID trial, Diabetes Care, 2003;26:2713–21.
27. Kjekshus J, Apetrei E, Barrios V, et al., Rosuvastatin in older patients with systolic heart failure, N Engl J Med, 2007;357:2248–61.
28. Sasaki J, Iwashita M, Kono S, Statins: beneficial or adverse for glucose metabolism, J Atheroscler Thromb, 2006;13:123–9.
29. Nakata M, Nagasaka S, Kusaka I, et al., Effects of statins on the adipocyte maturation and expression of glucose transporter 4 (SLC2A4): implications in glycaemic control, Diabetologia, 2006;49:1881–92.
30. Kanda M, Satoh K, Ichihara K, Effects of atorvastatin and pravastatin on glucose tolerance in diabetic rats mildly induced by streptozotocin, Biol Pharm Bull, 2003;26:1681–4.
31. Yada T, Nakata M, Shiraishi T, et al., Inhibition by simvastatin, but not pravastatin, of glucose-induced cytosolic Ca2+ signalling and insulin secretion due to blockade of L-type Ca2+ channels in rat islet beta-cells, Br J Pharmacol, 1999;126:1205–13.
32. Ishikawa M, Okajima F, Inoue N, et al., Distinct effects of pravastatin, atorvastatin, and simvastatin on insulin secretion from a beta-cell line, MIN6 cells, J Atheroscler Thromb, 2006;13:329–35.
33. Sattar N, Preiss D, Murray HM, et al., Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials, Lancet, 2010;375:735–42.
34. Almdal T, Scharling H, Jensen JS, et al., The independent effect of type 2 diabetes mellitus on ischemic heart disease, stroke, and death: a population-based study of 13,000 men and women with 20 years of follow-up, Arch Intern Med, 2004;164:1422–6.
35. Miettinen H, Lehto S, Salomaa V, et al., Impact of diabetes on mortality after the first myocardial infarction. The FINMONICA Myocardial Infarction Register Study Group, Diabetes Care, 1998;21:69–75.
36. Stamler J, Vaccaro O, Neaton JD, et al., Diabetes, other risk factors, and 12-yr cardiovascular mortality for men screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial, Diabetes Care, 1993;16:434–44.
37. Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Byington RP, et al., Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes, N Engl J Med, 2008;358:2545–59.
38. Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Merz CN, et al., Implications of recent clinical trials for the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III guidelines, Circulation, 2004;110:227–39.
39. Sharp Collaborative G, Study of Heart and Renal Protection (SHARP): randomized trial to assess the effects of lowering low-density lipoprotein cholesterol among 9,438 patients with chronic kidney disease, Am Heart J, 2010;160:785–94.e10.
40 Baigent C, Landray MJ, Reith C, et al., The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with simvastatin plus ezetimibe in patients with chronic kidney disease (Study of Heart and Renal Protection): a randomised placebo-controlled trial, Lancet, 2011;377:2181–92.
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40
| Page 41
| Page 42
| Page 43
| Page 44
| Page 45
| Page 46
| Page 47
| Page 48
| Page 49
| Page 50
| Page 51
| Page 52
| Page 53
| Page 54
| Page 55
| Page 56
| Page 57
| Page 58
| Page 59
| Page 60
| Page 61
| Page 62
| Page 63
| Page 64
| Page 65
| Page 66
| Page 67
| Page 68