Treatment Options in Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases Overlap Syndrome
progression. Vaccinations against influenza and pneumococcus prevent exacerbations in both asthma and COPD, and should be considered routinely.40
Although asthma and COPD represent two different obstructive lung diseases, considerable overlap occurs in a significant proportion of patients and the two entities often evolve and converge into each other.
1. Jenkins CR, Thompson PJ, Gibson PG, Wood-Baker R, Distinguishing asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: why, why not and how?, Med J Aust, 2005;183(1 Suppl):S35–7.
2. Chang J, Mosenifar Z, Differentiating COPD from asthma in clinical practice, J Intensive Care Med, 2007;22(5):300–9.
3. Orie NGM, Sluiter HJ, de Vries K, et al., The host factor in bronchitis. In: Orie NGM, Sluiter HJ, Bronchitis: an International Symposium, Assen, Netherlands: Royal vanGorcum, 1961.
4. Bateman ED, Hurd SS, Barnes PJ, et al., Global strategy for asthma management and prevention: GINA executive summary, Eur Respir J, 2008;31:143–78.
5. World Health Organization, The GOLD Global Strategy for the Management and Prevention of COPD, 2001. Available at www.goldcopd.com
(accessed 12 September 2011).
6. Gibson PG, Simpson JL, The overlap syndrome of asthma and COPD: what are its features and how important is it?, Thorax, 2009;64(8):728–35.
7. Guerra S, Overlap of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Curr Opin Pulm Med, 2005;11(1):7–13.
8. James AL, Wenzel S, Clinical relevance of airway remodeling in airway diseases, Eur Respir J, 2007;30:134–55.
9. American Thoracic Society, Standards for diagnosis and care of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 1995;152:S77–121.
10. Diaz-Guzman E, Mannino DM, Airway obstructive diseases in older adults: from detection to treatment, J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2010;126(4):702–9.
11. Shaya FT, Dongyi D, Akazawa MO, et al., Burden of concomitant asthma and COPD in a Medicaid population, Chest, 2008;134:14–9.
12. Soriano JB, Davis KJ, Coleman B, et al., The proportional Venn diagram of obstructive lung disease: two approximations from the United States and the United Kingdom, Chest, 2003;124:474–81.
13. Kauppi P, Kupiainen H, Lindqvist A, et al., Overlap syndrome of asthma and COPD predicts low quality of life, J Asthma, 2011;48(3):279–85.
14. Silva GE, Sherrill DL, Guerra S, et al., Asthma as a risk factor for COPD in a longitudinal study, Chest, 2004;126:59–65.
Current treatment strategies are based largely on data from trials that often exclude the subset of patients that have the overlap syndrome. Future research should focus on whether patients with coexisting signs of asthma and COPD may benefit from management strategies based on a holistic approach that consists of phenotypic, functional and immunological assessments rather than trying to categorise the signs into asthma or COPD and applying the current algorithms of care for these. n
15. James AL, Palmer LJ, Kicic E, et al., Decline in lung function in the Busselton Health Study: the effects of asthma and cigarette smoking, Am J Respir Crit Care Med,2005;171(2):109–14.
16. Bellia V, Battaglia S, Catalano F, et al., Aging and disability affect misdiagnosis of COPD in elderly asthmatics: the SARA study, Chest, 2003;123(4):1066–72.
17. Vozoris NT, Stanbrook MB, Smoking prevalence, behaviors, and cessation among individuals with COPD or asthma, Respir Med, 2011;105(3):477–84.
18. Hays JT, Ebbert JO, Varenicline for tobacco dependence, N Engl J Med, 2008;359:2018–24.
19. Singh S, Loke YK, Spangler JG, Furberg CD, Risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events associated with varenicline: a systematic review and meta-analysis, CMAJ, 2011;183(12):1359–66.
20. Anthonisen NR, Lessons from the Lung Health Study, Proc Am Thorac Soc, 2004;1(2):143–5.
21. Rodrigo GJ, Nannini LJ, Rodriguez-Roisin R, Safety of long- acting beta-agonists in stable COPD: a systematic review, Chest, 2008;133:1079–87.
22. Beier J, Beeh KM, Long-acting β-adrenoceptor agonists in the management of COPD: focus on indacaterol, Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis, 2011;6:237–43.
23. Nelson HS, Weiss ST, Bleecker ER, et al., The Salmeterol Multicenter Asthma Research Trial: a comparison of usual pharmacotherapy for asthma or usual pharmacotherapy plus salmeterol, Chest, 2006;129:15–26.
24. Kerstjens HAM, Brand PLP, Hughes MD, et al., A comparison of bronchodilator therapy with or without inhaled corticosteroid therapy for obstructive airways disease, N Engl J Med, 1992;327:1413–9.
25. Westby M, Benson M, Gibson P, Anticholinergic agents for chronic asthma in adults, Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2004;3:CD003269.
26. Peters SP, Kunselman SJ, Icitovic N, et al., Tiotropium bromide step-up therapy for adults with uncontrolled asthma, N Engl J Med, 2010;363:1715–26.
27. Van Noord JA, Bantje TA, Eland ME, et al., A randomized controlled comparison of tiotropium and ipratropium in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
The Dutch Tiotropium Study Group, Thorax, 2000;55:289–94.
28. Pauwels RA, Pedersen S, Busse WW, et al., START Investigators Group. Early intervention with budesonide in mild persistent asthma: a randomized, double-blind trial, Lancet, 2003;361:1071–6.
29. Siva R, Green RH, Brightling CE, et al., Eosinophilic airway inflammation and exacerbations of COPD: a randomized controlled trial, Eur Respir J, 2007;29(5):906–13.
30. Drummond MB, Dasenbrook EC, Pitz MW, et al., Inhaled corticosteroids in patients with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA, 2008;300:2407–16.
31. Celli BR, Update on the management of COPD, Chest, 2008;133:1451–62.
32. Woodruff PG, Albert RK, Bailey WC, et al., Randomized trial of zileuton for treatment of COPD exacerbations requiring hospitalization, COPD, 2011;8(1):21–9.
33. Nocturnal Oxygen Therapy Trial Group, Continuous or nocturnal oxygen therapy in hypoxemic chronic obstructive lung disease: a clinical trial, Ann Intern Med, 1980;93:391–8.
34. Albert RK, Connett J, Bailey WC, et al., Azithromycin for prevention of exacerbations of COPD, N Engl J Med, 2011;365:689–98.
35. Antoniu SA, New therapeutic options in the management of COPD—focus on roflumilast, Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis, 2011;6:147–55.
36. Field SK, Roflumilast: an oral, once-daily selective PDE-4 inhibitor for the management of COPD and asthma, Expert Opin Investig Drugs, 2008;17(5):811–8.
37. Ries AL, Bauldoff GS, Carlin BW, et al., Pulmonary rehabilitation: joint ACCP/AACVPR evidence-based clinical practice guidelines, Chest, 2007;131(Suppl 5):4S–42S.
38. Cambach W, Wagenaar RC, Koelman TW, et al., The long- term effects of pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a research synthesis, Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 1999;80(1):103–11.
39. Puhan M, Scharplatz M, Troosters T, et al., Pulmonary rehabilitation following exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2009;1:CD005305.
40. Pesek R, Lockey R, Vaccination of adults with asthma and COPD, Allergy, 2011;66(1):25–31.
EUROPEAN RESPIRATORY DISEASE
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40
| Page 41
| Page 42
| Page 43
| Page 44
| Page 45
| Page 46
| Page 47
| Page 48
| Page 49
| Page 50
| Page 51
| Page 52
| Page 53
| Page 54
| Page 55
| Page 56
| Page 57
| Page 58
| Page 59
| Page 60
| Page 61
| Page 62
| Page 63
| Page 64
| Page 65
| Page 66
| Page 67
| Page 68
| Page 69
| Page 70
| Page 71
| Page 72
| Page 73
| Page 74
| Page 75
| Page 76